Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Trip to Fig Tree Walk

It's great when plans work out. I went out early this morning to have a look around the southern outskirts of Kenilworth again.  This time I spent the entire time on the Fig Tree Walk circuit that follows Little Yabba Creek. To access it you make your way to the rest area on the left heading from Kenilworth. After you park you can walk over the bridge to access the walk. This forest is stunning! This rainforest has the same species as the walks around Charlie Moreland campground but are easier to photograph and actually seem more approachable. I saw a few other birds here today that I hadn't seen last week at Charlie Moreland but I know they are present in that forest too.

I won't go into all the species again, as all the birds from last week were seen again today. If you want to check out the list go to my last post. Some others that I did see today included a large amount of Green Catbirds. There must have been 20 or more. Spectacled Monarchs, Little Shrike-thrushes, Lewin's Honeyeaters, Brown Gerygones and Brown Quails were some of the other species that were seen today, that were not seen on my trip last week.

I was very surprised to see such a large number of Wompoo Fruit-Doves here today. In one small area alone I saw at least 50 birds and also about 50 Brown Cuckoo-Doves. Both of these flocks were fighting over certain Piccabeen Trees and fig trees in the forest. I got some better photos of most of the birds from last week so I will include them in this blog.

Female Logrunner

Green Catbird

Green Catbird

Green Catbird calling out

Male Logrunner


Noisy Pitta

The same Noisy Pitta as above from a different angle

Topknot Pigeon

One of many Wompoo Fruit-Doves that were seen

Male Paradise Riflebird

This female Paradise Riflebird came from nowhere as soon as the male called

Another one of the many Noisy Pittas that were seen

The same Noisy Pitta as above from a different angle

One of the many Brown Cuckoo-Doves that were seen


I would have to say that this is a brilliant place to go for bird watching or even just a beautiful, relaxing walk in the forest. Even more relaxing and fruitful in terms of birdlife than the Charlie Moreland campground. This would be my new favourite spot on the coast. A great morning out that's for sure!

More updates and pics each week.

If you're interested in my blog check out my site below by clicking on the link.

Australian Birds KEUNEA PHOTOGRAPHY

8 comments:

  1. Good for you Ashley... a suggestion. A picture of you on your blog would be nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos Ash ! I'm happy as the female log runner looks like the Christmas Robbin back home :). Well done Ash u certainly love ur birds . X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Deb. I'll have to check it out. I know my stuff about Australian birds but don't know many birds from other countries really. I do love bird watching and photographing them that's for sure. Been a hobby of mine since I can remember actually. Talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Profile pic looking good, and you're getting some nice shots

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The catbird is incredible. Great photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Matt. I love the catbirds. They have such a cool and unique call. Definitely one of my favourite birds. Lucky to get one of them in close range as they like to stay at the tops of the trees and even luckier to get one calling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great shots! I really would love to see some of these species in the wild one day.

    ReplyDelete