Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Trip to Bundaberg

During the last week I went to Bundaberg to see my folks. I always love going up there to visit them on their property at South Kolan. Usually there are lots of varieties of birds on the property. Some of which are similar to the species here but there are many different species as well.

Before I left I had a quick walk to the dam as I could hear the wrens calling out. I noticed several male Red-backed Fairy-wrens with a few females. Walking back to the car I saw about six Peaceful Doves in the tree beside me. They are a regular on the property but it's not common for them to stay perched when you approach them.

Male Red-backed Fairy-wren
Peaceful Dove
Just after I left home I got some diesel from the Matilda service station at Kybong. After I finished pumping I saw a Restless Flycatcher sitting on the shrub beside the pump. It was about two meters off the ground in the open and about 3 meters from me. I quickly got the camera out but by then it was gone! An opportunity missed to get a perfect photograph. I decided to have a look at the ponds behind the service station where I could hear it calling out. Much to my surprise there were lots of birds in the camping area there.

There were Purple Swamphens, Dusky Moorhens, Pacific Black Ducks, Restless Flycatchers, Willie Wagtails, Grey Fantails, Australasian Figbirds, Grey Shrike-thrushes, White-breasted Woodswallows, Grey-crowned Babblers, Cattle Egrets, Intermediate Egrets plus many other really common birds for the area.

Grey Shrike-thrush

A Grey-crowned Babbler having some breakfast

A White-breasted Woodswallow cleaning itself after eating

An Australasian Figbird catching some morning sun

Male Restless Flycatcher

Pacific Black Duck
After spending most of the day at my parents property I decided to go visit a friend at Bargara. Before I went to his house I dropped in at the creek and tidal area towards Windermere Road. This area can be hit and miss for birding. Only a few birds were seen this time. Often there are several species of waders in the tidal zone.

Female Rainbow Bee-eater

Australian White Ibis

Whimbrel
The next day I went out birding back on my parents farm and very few birds were seen. Both Mum and Dad said that recently the birds seemed to have declined in numbers. Possibly due to the dry weather. All that was seen were a few hundred Brown Honeyeaters. I was shocked by the amount of these that were around. I have never seen them in such large numbers anywhere. Usually on the farm you may only see a dozen or so on a trip around the property.

The following morning I went out early to see if I could have some better luck. I was pleased to see a few other species but still only in low numbers, except for the Brown Honeyeaters again. There were Bar-shouldered Doves, Peaceful Doves, Common Koels, Pheasant Coucals, Rufous Whistlers, White-browed Scrubwrens, White-throated Honeyeaters, Channel-billed Cuckoos, Red-backed Fairy-wrens, Silvereyes, Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, Double-barred Finches plus a few others.

Rufous Whistler

One of the many Brown Honeyeaters

White-throated Honeyeater

White-browed Scrubwren
After birding at my parents I went for a drive towards Moore Park. Not long after getting out the car I heard and saw two birds flying just above the tree tops. I got my camera to take a photo but it was too late. I am certain that they were Double-eyed Fig Parrots! I saw a few Little Lorikeets earlier but they sounded slightly different. I have seen the other two races of Double-eyed Fig Parrots in north Queensland so I am aware of their call. Maybe they were Little Lorikeets also but I know in my mind what they were. As a result of this sighting I drove to one of the Cluster Figs that I knew of in the area. The tree had no sign of the Double-eyed Fig Parrots, surprise, surprise and there was no sign that any birds have been eating the figs. I continued to Moore Park where I knew there was quite a large number of fig trees. These are all Sandpaper Figs and Moreten Bay Figs though. Again no sign of any Double-eyed Fig Parrots and no sign of any of the figs being chewed. Maybe I was mistaken but I know next time I'm in the area I will be more aware.

Pair of Black-shouldered Kites on a Cluster Fig Tree

Some of the figs on one of the Cluster Figs
On the way home I stopped in briefly at the rest area on the north side of Gympie. A few species were present.

Royal Spoonbill

Magpie Geese

Dusky Moorhen
After arriving back home I spotted these two sitting in the trees near the house. The camera was in my hand so I couldn't resist taking a few shots and it was a good chance to practice my low light photography as well.

Lewin's Honeyeater

Grey Fantail
This last photo is a very special photo. This is Borris. I have to admit that this photo isn't actually mine. It was taken last week by one of my students I taught last year. The photographer's name is Kruze McDonald and he is only 5 years old. Last year I use to show a photo to the class and talk about the picture. Most of the photos were of animals, in particular birds but also of landmarks around Australia, different environments and trees. The idea of this was to settle the students but also to make them more aware of Australian wildlife and Australia in general. This definitely influenced the students as I noticed their appreciation and knowledge of animals and the Australian environment grow throughout the year.

Keep up the great work Kruze!

Borris the Torresian Crow
More updates and pics each fortnight.

If you're interested in my blog check out my site below by clicking on the link.

Australian Birds KEUNEA PHOTOGRAPHY

4 comments:

  1. Some more great shots here Ash, again I am very envious of some of the species you have sighted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt. I have been getting heaps of different birds of late, and many of the pics have been good quality. Even spotted several birds in the last week I have never seen before. I can't wait to post the last trip to the Lockyer Valley. I'll try and get it up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete