Sunday, July 28, 2013

Birding around Imbil and Stirlings Crossing

Yesterday I went out to Imbil for a quick trip with my mate. We saw many birds while we were out there. It was a beautiful morning but within a few hours the light started to deteriorate due to the clouds coming in but that was ok as we couldn't stay for long anyway. I was surprised by the number of birds that we saw. Some of them I haven't seen often and/or I don't have decent photos of them. We saw a few Eastern Spinebills, New Holland Honeyeaters, Brown Honeyeaters, heaps of Grey Fantails and all the common garden type birds. I was very surprised to hear about six Noisy Pittas calling out in the area. We also heard many lorikeets, the most common of which were the Little Lorikeets. We managed to get a few photos for the morning but I wasn't happy with the quality at all. Most of the birds either didn't sit still once we sighted them or they were too high in the trees to be able to obtain a decent photograph.


Eastern Spinebill


New Holland Honeyeater


Grey Fantail


As I was turning off into my driveway I heard the resident Striated Pardalote that nests in the bank of the drain. Regularly he can be seen and heard calling out in the gum tree just above his burrow.

Striated Pardalote


The Striated Pardalote again


Coming down the drive I noticed this Whistling Kite circling the track. Even though they are common in the area I don't often see them on the property.



Whistling Kite


I decided to go back to have a look in the general area around Imbil last night for some night birds. I thought that due to it having many similarities to the Kenilworth area I might be lucky enough to spot a Marbled Frogmouth or a Masked Owl. That didn't eventuate but I did spot several Barn Owls and a few Tawny Frogmouths.



Barn Owl


The Barn Owl preening


The Barn Owl trying to ignore me


Tawny Frogmouth



Close up of a Tawny Frogmouth
 
 
 
More updates and pics coming soon.
 
If you're interested in my blog check out my site below by clicking on the link.

Australian Birds KEUNEA PHOTOGRAPHY

No comments:

Post a Comment