Saturday, July 6, 2013

More Owling in the Hinterland and a Trip to the Brisbane Valley

This week I have been owling on a couple of occasions to find and photograph the Masked Owl. Each time I have gone with my friend or friends. On one trip we went around Elanda Point, Cootharaba, Wolvi and Kin Kin and the other trip we stayed more local, around Elanda Point to Cootharaba.
On the first trip we saw heaps of Tawny Frogmouths and a single Barn Owl and on the second trip we spotted the Masked Owl but failed to get a photo. They are not as approachable as the Barn Owls that's for sure! We also saw a few Barn Owls and a few Tawny Frogmouths on the second trip as well.


The Tawny Frogmouth with the damaged wing was spotted again


This Barn Owl with the damaged eye did have some difficulty landing on the branches on two occasions after being flushed off but it seemed to be coping.


A Barn Owl with a damaged left eye


Another Tawny Frogmouth located this week


On Wednesday two mates and I went down for a drive into the Brisbane Valley. We had to go to Ipswich to pick up some gear so I thought we may as well make a birding trip out of it too. As we came into Kilcoy I noticed a small dam on the right hand side of the road with lots of birds on it. We decided to pull up and have a look. I'm very glad we did. I finally found some of the Australasian Shovelers that I have been wanting to locate since they were sighted in SEQ, six months ago.
There was one pair of Australasian Shovelers on the dam with some Hardheads, Grey Teal, Pacific Black Ducks, Eurasian Coots, Darters, Australasian Grebes, Black Swans, Pink-eared Ducks, Australian Wood Ducks and some Australian Pelicans. Around the dam we saw a few Australian King Parrots, Pale-headed Rosellas, Rainbow Lorikeets and Little Lorikeets. Most of the lorikeets were too high in the tree to get decent photos. All of these birds except for the Australasian Shovelers and Australian Pelicans were in quite large numbers, especially the Darters. I was amazed with the amount of birds in such a small area! Just as we were about to leave a Spotted Harrier came gliding in just above the grass surrounding the dam and he gently glided alongside the dam and over the hill.



Australasian Shovelers


The pair of Australasian Shovelers


My first photos and sighting of Australasian Shovelers


Spotted Harrier


After leaving this location we headed down Esk-Kilcoy Road. We dropped in at the day use area at Lake Somerset or Somerset Dam. Not much to be seen here except for a few Hardheads out on the water and a mixed flock of Silver Gulls and Caspian Terns. This flock would have numbered 100 or more birds. They were all resting on the edge of the water on the grass.


Caspian Tern (Non-breeding plumage)


Silver Gull


Caspian Tern


Just after we left the day use area a Whistling Kite was spotted circling just near the road. I couldn't resist pulling over to get a photo. Luckily for me he came back for another few laps which enabled me to get a shot before he flew over the hills.



Whistling Kite


Whistling Kite from beneath


Not long later, my mate spotted this Spotted Harrier on a post on the side of the road. As soon as I pulled over it flew off but I got a few photos of it in flight which I was happy with. Then it landed on another post in the distance and I managed to obtain a few more shots of it roosting before it flew off again.


Spotted Harrier in flight


Spotted Harrier in flight again


The pattern beneath the wing of a Spotted Harrier


Shot of the Spotted Harrier flying off


Spotted Harrier roosting


The Spotted Harrier looking directly at the camera

The Spotted Harrier flying off into the distance

Only a few minutes drive down the road several Australian Pipits were seen on the side of the road. I drove past them and then turned around to see if I could get a shot of them. I spotted one, quickly stopped the car and I got a few shots before they flew off into the longer grass. They were only seen for about a one kilometre stretch and not again for the entire trip, even though the habitat was similar for much of this area.


Australian Pipit

Further down the road we were driving past and noticed some white ducks on the side of a dam wall. None of us could think of any ducks in this area that were white so we quickly turned the car around to see what they were. One of my mates was hoping they might be white Australian Wood Ducks, which have been spotted on the odd occasion. Much to his disappointment and our amusement this is what we found!


These ducks weren't going anywhere


This Black Swan was seen with its mate on the edge of a small dam in the Lockyer Valley.



Black Swan

We went to have a look around near Pechey's Lagoon. This area had a huge amount of birds again. Some of the more common birds that were seen and heard included about 15 Brown Quails, Double-barred Finches, many Red-backed Fairy-wrens, Eurasian Coots, Ducky Moorhens, Pacific Black Ducks, Masked Lapwings, Black Swans, Darters, Jacky Winters, Rufous Whistlers, Cockatiels, Galahs plus many others. All of these species were in really large numbers.


Double-barred Finches feeding on grass seeds


Rufous Whistler


Darter


Welcome Swallows

This bird below was seen but to be honest I'm not certain as to what it is. I am pretty sure that it is a female Golden Whistler or a Female Robin of some sort. I have seen many female Eastern Yellow Robins and Golden Whistlers on my property and they both look different, but similar to this bird. It was very dark on its belly which makes me unsure. I didn't see a male of either of these species here either.

If someone can help me identify this bird for certain please post a comment.




Unknown species front on


Unknown species from behind


Red-backed Fairy-wren


Male Red-backed Fairy-wren


Male Red-backed Fairy-wren calling


Female Red-backed Fairy-wren


Galah

Another predator arrived at my house this week. I thought it was the Collared Sparrowhawk back, that was here several weeks ago but when I got a better look at it I realised that it was in fact a Brown Goshawk. Hopefully soon enough it realises that it can't get into the cages and moves on like the Collared Sparrowhawk.


Brown Goshawk trying to get my birds


Brown Goshawk on the aviary


Brown Goshawk



More updates and pics coming soon.
 
If you're interested in my blog check out my site below by clicking on the link.

Australian Birds KEUNEA PHOTOGRAPHY

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for interesting report. Could the unknown sp be a Jacky Winter? Unsure with small image. Cheers. Cecile.

    ReplyDelete